My Crazy Life

My life as I live it....

07 August 2006

Düsseldorf -- and the end of the World Cup

So on that Monday I traveled on to Düsseldorf, that would have been July 3rd. I went to my friend Iris' house. The train ride was really interesting because we had to go on a detour and that added a bit of time and then they made us change trains and extra time. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I was tired of hauling my suitcase around and wanted a break. Thankfully many times there are really nice people that help me out! I could generally through my suitcase around fairly well, but it does get tiring.

So I finally arrived in Düsseldorf and it was insanely warm. Most people don't have air conditioning in their cars, so I was thinking that I was going to be looking forward to a nice hot car ride to Iris' house. BUT she had air conditioning, so that was nice. Her cousin was also at her house because he wanted to go to a few World Cup games and catch the rest on tv in Germany. On that Tuesday (or maybe that Monday) we went into downtown to just walk around and whatnot. I ended up buying a skirt. Anyways, it was kind of interesting because when we first arrived downtown Iris saw this girl that looked like my ex-younger-host-sister. Apparently she kind of looked down when she saw us and kept walking away. I find this simply interesting. All in all I have no hard feelings against her, the time at her house simply did not work. (Basically as an exchange student in Germany I had to switch host families because my first one and myself did not get along together at all.) The skirt I had bought is really nice and I wear it a lot.

On that Wednesday Iris and I met two of our friends at the university and sad in on Chemistry class. I am really curious now to see if I like university classes in Germany, but there was a lot of talking during classes, which is unusual in the US, at least that is my experience. Being that I don't understand Chemistry anyways I sat there and did Soduku. Iris went to a Chemistry lecture with Eva and I went with Nadine, they took apr. the same amount of time anyways. One of Nadine's friend brough cake, so we ate some cake during class. After the lectures we went with Eva and one of her friends to grab lunch in the cafeteria and it wasn't that bad. Afterwards we went back to Iris' house and Eva came with.

That Thursday we went to Movie Park. It used to be affiliated with Warner Brothers, but Six Flags owns it now. And, to my surprise, I went on all the roller coasters! I normally don't think I would enjoy the bigger roller coasters and such, but I went on anyways and it was fun! They don't have as many spinning rides as I am accustomed to at amusement parks, so I went on the two they had. One spins you upside down and the other one is a regular spin against the wall and swings from side to side at the same time. I find these rides relaxing somehow. Anyways, the second one described, there was a guy that decided last minute to ride it and he ended up throwing up mid ride. That was really gross because of the nature of the ride. As soon as it was over everyone ran off.

We went on the water roller coaster 5 or 6 times. It started outside then you went into this mountain structure, saw a bunch of aliens doing alien things and then out and splash into the water. Anyways, there are two cameras on the ride and at the end you can buy a print out with both photos on it. So it took us a few times before we realized where the first camera was, so the last time or one of the last times, we decided to have fun with the camera. Iris' cousin sat on the side, then Iris and then me. So Iris and I shoved towards her cousin so that he would be crammed against the side. It looks like he is about ready to fly out of the car. Then we just had fun with the second camera because it is on the way down the slope into the water. They are both very good photos.

On Friday evening we went to Sylvia's house, she was my coordinator during my time in Düsseldorf. She now has year old twins Vincenz and Katharina. They are adorable! We went to the park with them and it was just a rocking good time. Then we had some dinner at her house and relaxed there for a while. Her husband, Matthias, is in the police force, so I had to ask him about the police uniforms becoming blue in Germany. In the last several decades or so, the police have been green there and now there is a movement to go to blue. Several states have already changed over but many are also still green. Matthias believe that in a year or so Nordrheinland-Westphalen will probably go blue in the next year or so. The reason for this is that blue policemen is more wide spread in the world, so that way if they go blue it can be easier to spot the police quickly. Or something like that. It's really interesting.

That Saturday Sylvia picked me up and we went to her sisters place in Gummersbach, she had her 25th wedding anniversary. It was really interesting because broken dishes equals good luck. So there were broken dishes every where by the door. Also they made a wreath and hung it around the door. It was really interesting, so please look at my facebook albums, I will put photos up and go into more detail about it. We watched the Germany versus Portugal game on tv that night. It was for 3rd place, a mention of the Germany/Italy game is coming after this section. Anyways Portugal and Germany both shot 2 goals each, but one of Portugal's was in Germany's net instead of theirs... So Germany got third which is great too!

Then I got to spend some time with Simone and Nick (Sylvia's neice and her boyfriend). It was good to spend time with them although I was really tired. I stayed over night and then Sylvia dropped me off at the train station on Sunday afternoon so I could go back to Düsseldorf. I bought a ticket and then I just kind of made up the route as I went, I didn't really know how to go. When I got back my train ended up being 10 minutes late and we rushed off to dinner at a golf club. The food was just really great, I really enjoyed it a lot. Then we went back to Iris' house and watched the championship game of the World Cup. Italy versus France. That was fun to watch.

So the Ital Germany game was kind of frustrating because there was no score until the last two minutes of the overtime! So frustrating, but it was a good game and a lot of fun to watch. Then of course the US didn't get past the pre-round, yet we gained one point in our group against Italy! We tied! So, we pretty much rock.

On Monday we brough Iris' cousin to the airport. He lives in South Africa, so he had to return home and to work. He even treated us to some pop in the airport before he went through security. Everything went smoothly there. On Tuesday Iris and I met up with Nadine in the downtown. It was a good time. Very good to see her again.

Sometime during the week we managed to watch episodes 4 and 5 of Star Wars in German. Wow, never do that if you are used to the English version. Darth Vader has a horrible voice. It is just bad. :-)

Well, I have to get some other things done, but I am almost finished with writing about my time in Germany, then it is on to camp! :-) Camp is soo much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares